Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fall Excitement


As promised, here is Natalee's shirt that we made a few weeks back.
Here's what to do if you want your very own pumpkin shirt.
#1- Pinch and gather up portions of the short fabric and secure with a rubber band 1-2 inches from the point of the pinch. Wrap the band several times so that it's nice and tight. Create similar sections all over the shirt.
#2- Prepare the dye bath according to package instructions. The only orange I could find was called "Sunshine Orange" and it's not a dark pumpkin orange like the photo I saw. I think you could get a darker color if you buy a couple of packages of dye and mix them to a lesser water/dye ratio. Anyway, wet the shirt and then submerge it in the dye. Let it soak until it's a shade darker than you want. Wear gloves unless you want your hands to be orange too.
#3- Still wearing gloves, rinse the shirt under running water until the water you are squeezing out of it is clear.
#4- Carefully cut off the bands and dry the shirt.
#5- Using a permanent marker or paint, draw on the faces. Here is another problem. When I washed the shirt, the black marks ran a little and blead onto other parts of the shirt so now our shirt is kind of dirty looking. This isn't a huge problem, but just warning you. That wouldn't happen if you used an actual fabric marker or paint. I used a sharpie.
ALSO....DRUM ROLL PLEASE!
WE HAVE GRASS!!!
I know it's not much, but it's a start. For a backyard that's been barren for as long as we've lived here, it's about the most beautiful stuff ever! Thanks to Rodney and the Elder's Quorum Presidency for helping us out!

2 comments:

The Deans said...

YEAH for pumpkin shirts!! and YEAH for grass!! We will have to come up and roll around on it.

Our Little Corner said...

Well, if you did that now, you'd get pretty dirty, but maybe in the spring.