Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Scenes from the Doctor's Office

Natalee had her well child checkup today with Dr. H. First of all, we love, love, love Dr. H! Natalee loves him too. We met him when Natalee was about 5 days old in the NICU and he's been with us ever since. Anyway, so we had her yearly exam today and while I do realize it's a huge blessing to have a child who talks, I kind of wish that today she wouldn't have done quite so much of it. Here are some of the tidbits:
Dr. H: Hello Natalee!
Natalee: (laughing) You've got hair on your face.
Dr. H: Yes I do. Do you like that?
Natalee: I like you better the other way.

Dr. H: How many wheels are on your bike?

Natalee: (counting) 1...2...3...4. Four, but Daddy is going to take two of them off and then it's gonna be really tricky.
Dr. H: That will be tricky. Do you always wear a helmet when you ride your bike.
Natalee: Mommy says not to wear it if it will mess up my hair. (not true, by the way)
Dr. H: I'd like her to always wear a helmet if she's on her bike, scooter, roller blades or skates.
Natalee: Mommy and Daddy won't buy me any of those things.
Dr. H: Natalee, when you ride in the car, do you have a special seat?

Natalee: Yes, it's brown and the belt goes like this (motions doing up the belt) and I can do the buckle all by myself and the seat has cup holders, two of them, one on this side and one on this side (points).
Dr. H: So, it's a booster seat?
Natalee: Yes, with two cup holders and a place for treats.
Dr. H: Wow, that sounds pretty cool!
Natalee: You can see it if you want to.
Dr. H: Ok, maybe I can do that sometime.
Natalee: Maybe you can come with us on vacation. Mom, can the doctor come with us on vacation?
Dr. H: Be really careful of burns, kids this age want to do everything so just watch her very carefully around stoves and fireplaces and such.
Natalee: Mommy lets me cook all by myself, all the time. I am a good cooker.
Mom: That's not really true, we do cook together.
Natalee: I do cook by myself! I make my lunch all by myself.
(This is true, she can make her own peanut butter sandwiches. I hope the doc doesn't think I just turn her loose with the stove.)
Dr. H: Natalee, are you going to stay small, or are you going to grow up?
Natalee: I am going to grow up on my birthday.
Dr. H: When is your birthday?
Natalee: In December....hey, want to come to my party?
So there you have it. Wow, what an earfull the poor man got today! He's excited to hear her talk, as it's been a source of worry for him since she was 2. She's all on the charts for weight and height. Still well in the bottom range for weight, but 44% for height. She's also got a whoppin 2% body fat on her BMI. Supermodels watch out! He said that she's so bright she can probably be anything she wants to be when she grows up, except for the fat lady in the circus. Guess we'll leave that career for mom.

6 comments:

Elise said...

She's hilarious...sounds like she was really trying to get you in trouble at every turn. If I ever see her on her bike without her helmet, I'm going straight to Dr. H. ya hear! :) Don't worry about not recognizing Max's costume...I knew it would be hard to recognize if you didn't know what he was and you weren't the only one who thought he was some kind of mutant bunny! Thanks again for helping us out the other day!

The Deans said...

Hey mom can doctor come with us on vacation!!
Haha! She is so funny!

PS: Skipper doesn't smile in pictures because he thinks he looks sexy...

The Halls said...

Hey Shilo! It's Brittney from the NICU! We have a blog too...I will link you up on mine!

Loved the post about the doctor...I can't believe you don't want to take the doc with you on vacation...weird...

Our Little Corner said...

The doc could pay for the vacation. Maybe then I'd let him tag along.

Sharon said...

So So cute, I can just hear her saying all those things. I think you should bring her down to see us again. Crew and Abby are lonesome for her.

Annie said...

Natalee is a delight. Miriam is super shy at the doctors. No funny dialogue there, except when she tells every nurse she sees that she is not getting a shot.